Wednesday, August 17, 2011

what is the carrying capacity of a 47 year old man on a bicycle?

Eight bags of groceries. Or somewhere thereabouts.

We were having a cookout. Friends were in town. We had been away for a month. There was family to see. So I volunteered wife and me to do some grilling.

Come Saturday morning, we needed provisions.

I rode down the Third Street bike lane towards Publix. Crossed campus. Pulled onto Second. Made it back, four bags hooked over the right handlebar, three over the left, ice and juice boxes in my trusty Jansport. I had everything on the list except for beer. Our friend likes Heineken. Won't mention what Junot Diaz says about Heineken. But the bottles would have to wait.

I made it home by 11:45, fifteen minutes before folks were to arrive.

Wife had wanted me to take car. Pity the wife here. This whole carfree experiment has been a burden to her. While I am holding to my principles, reducing emissions and saving the planet, wife must fret over late-arriving groceries, general procrastination with (what I would call consolidation of) errands, and logistical screw-ups in our already harried life.

I am a slightly shorter, bald Ed Begley.

But I made it back. And the beer problem solved itself.

2 comments:

  1. If you have to leave something, leave the beer. In my experience, your friends will not run out to get those hamburger buns you forgot, but they will not hesitate to run out for Dos Equis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey tom, joshua here from the hood...i have one of the those bike trailers for tots that doubles as a grocery trailer, we hardly use it and your welcome anytime...234 21st Ave. South...Have heard about the Transitions St. Petersburg group we have been starting up...check it out on facebook, love to talk sometime about starting a old south east initiative...

    ReplyDelete