Monday, August 1, 2011

Day One: The Goal and The Failure

I blame the air purifier.

My editor loaned me an air purifier several months ago. Don't ask why; it isn't that interesting. The point is, yesterday I decided I absolutely couldn't stand looking at it anymore and it had to go back to the paper.

Have you ever tried to board a bus with a large cylindrical air purifier? Just like I draw the line at two cats ("crazy cat lady" jokes avoidance strategy), I steadfastly refuse to become *that* person on the bus.

I got in my car and brought it to my editor today.

I'm trying really hard to not see this as failure. Instead, I'm thinking of it as me getting my one slipup out of the way early in the game.

I'm assuming if you've found our blog, you know to which game I refer: the game in which I, Thomas Hallock, and perhaps others hang up our car keys for the month of August. We'll blog about it here, no matter how well we fare (clearly).

I did this for a week last year. A month seems a little daunting, but I'm game. Why? A few reasons. Yes, carbon footprint, blah blah blah, but, seriously, have you seen the price of gas lately?

Also, I'll admit, I really like traveling by bus. It's relaxing in a way driving my manual-transmission through tourist beach traffic will never be.

Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is basically why we still don't have a coffee table. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete